(217) 477-5228 | FAX (217) 477-5230 | Roberta Allen, Director
Mail queries: 319 N. Vermilion St., Danville, IL 61832
Email queries: Reference_Desk@danvillepubliclibrary.org
(please include your postal mail address when making a request, even an email request)
The Archives Department houses the genealogy and local history collection. There are books, census records and newspapers on microfilm, and vertical files.
AREAS COVERED & POLICIES
The collection's primary focus is Vermilion County, Illinois, including materials from Champaign, Clark, Coles, Douglas, Edgar, Ford, and Iroquois counties in the state of Illinois and Benton, Fountain, Montgomery, Parke, Vermillion, Vigo, and Warren counties in the state of Indiana.
Our secondary focus is genealogical materials from the migratory states into Illinois: Connecticut, Delaware, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vermont, Virginia, and West Virginia.
- Types of Material:
- Danville City Directories, 1874-present
- Danville & Vermilion County, IL newspapers, 1833-present
- Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps, 1884-1970
- Vermilion County histories
- Vermilion County authors and biographies
- Vermilion County Birth, Marriage, Death, Deeds, Wills, Naturalization Records
- Federal Population Census, 1830-1880, 1930-1940; non-population census
- Illinois State Census and military census
- Civil War Collection
- Danville Municipal documents
- State of Illinois documents; School District #118
- Periodicals and extensive archives files.
Use of Material
- The Archives Collection is a non-circulating collection and must be used within the Library.
- Reference/Archives staff will reply to specific requests, which can be answered briefly. We cannot answer lengthy requests. Genealogy Research Fee: for genealogy inquiries by telephone or mail that request the information be mailed, the fee will be $5.00 per request. This fee includes up to three (3) photocopies and the postage. Additional copies will be $.25 per sheet. Send written requests to: Archives Department, Danville Public Library, 319 N. Vermilion St., Danville, IL 61832.
- Photocopies from print materials are $.15 per page for 8 1/2 x 11 copies, and $.30 per page for 11 x 17 copies. Copies from microfilm materials are $.25 per page for 8 1/2 x 11 copies and $.50 per page for 11 x 17 copies for print materials and $.25 per page from microfilm materials.
- Illinois newspapers and photocopies of materials not found in Archives may be obtained through interlibrary loan at the Reference/Archives Desk for patrons with valid Library cards. In addition, patrons with valid library cards may borrow books at no charge from the Mid-Continent Public Library (Independence, MO) and the National Genealogical Society's collection at the St. Louis County Library.
- FamilySearch Affiliate Library Services
- DPL is a FamilySearch affiliate library of the FamilySearch’s Research and Library System. This designation means library patrons have convenient access to billions of birth, marriage, death, census, land, and court records from over 130 countries. These microfilmed records are ordered for loan directly from the FamilySearch archives in Salt Lake City, UT. FamilySearch does charge a fee to order microfilm. Contact us at 217-477-5228 for current prices.
- To request microfilm, create an account at familysearch.org and sign in.
- Search the FamilySearch library catalog for available film and add items to your cart.
- Pay for the requested items using a credit card, debit card or PayPal account. (The first time you order, you’ll be prompted to select your default family history center -- select Danville Public Library.)
- You will be contacted when the film has arrived at DPL.
- Once the film arrives, you can use the microfilm readers (which can print) at DPL for viewing.
- The Archives staff can help you see what films are available. Contact us at 217-477-5228 if you have any questions.