(217) 477-5228 | FAX (217) 477-5230 | Roberta Allen, Director
Mail queries: 319 N. Vermilion St., Danville, IL 61832
Email queries: Reference_Desk@danvillepubliclibrary.org
(please include your postal mail address when making a request, even an email request)
The Archives Department houses the genealogy and local history collection. There are books, census records and newspapers on microfilm, and vertical files.
AREAS COVERED & POLICIES
The collection's primary focus is Vermilion County, Illinois, including materials from Champaign, Clark, Coles, Douglas, Edgar, Ford, and Iroquois counties in the state of Illinois and Benton, Fountain, Montgomery, Parke, Vermillion, Vigo, and Warren counties in the state of Indiana.
Our secondary focus is genealogical materials from the migratory states into Illinois: Connecticut, Delaware, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vermont, Virginia, and West Virginia.
- Types of Material:
- Danville City Directories, 1874-present
- Danville & Vermilion County, IL newspapers, 1833-present
- Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps, 1884-1970
- Vermilion County histories
- Vermilion County authors and biographies
- Vermilion County Birth, Marriage, Death, Deeds, Wills, Naturalization Records
- Federal Population Census, 1830-1880, 1900-1930; non-population census
- Illinois State Census and military census
- Civil War Collection
- Danville Municipal documents
- State of Illinois documents; School District #118
Use of Material
- The Archives Collection is a non-circulating collection and must be used within the Library.
- Reference/Archives staff will reply to specific requests, which can be answered briefly. We cannot answer lengthy requests. Genealogy Research Fee: for genealogy inquiries by telephone or mail that request the information be mailed, the fee will be $5.00 per request. This fee includes up to three (3) photocopies and the postage. Additional copies will be $.25 per sheet. Send written requests to: Archives Department, Danville Public Library, 319 N. Vermilion St., Danville, IL 61832.
- Photocopies from print materials are $.15 per page for 8 1/2 x 11 copies, and $.30 per page for 11 x 17 copies. Copies from microfilm materials are $.25 per page for 8 1/2 x 11 copies and $.50 per page for 11 x 17 copies for print materials and $.25 per page from microfilm materials.
- Illinois Census, Illinois newspapers and photocopies of materials not found in Archives may be obtained through interlibrary loan at the Reference/Archives Desk for patrons with valid Library cards. In addition, patrons with valid library cards may borrow books at no charge from the Mid-Continent Public Library (Independence, MO) and the National Genealogical Society's collection at the St. Louis County Library.